The following is the philosophy of Charles Schultz, the creator of the Peanuts comic strip.
There's a lot of wisdom to be found in the Peanuts.
Answer the following:
1) Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2) Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3) Name the last five winners of the Miss America Pageant.
4) Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5) Name the last five Academy Award Winners for best actor and actress.
6) Name the last decades worth of World's Series Winners.
1) Bill Gates, some guy in India I saw on 20/20...
2) Heisman trophy? That's football, right? (Right?)
4) Jimmy Carter, Toni Morrison and Elie Wiesel have all won Nobel Prizes. They're the only three I can think of.
5) Honest to God, I have no idea.
6) Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies...
How did you do?
The point is that none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. They are the best in their fields, but applause fades, awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten.
Now see how you do on this one:
1) Name five teachers who helped you on your journey through school.
2) Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
3) Name five people you enjoy spending time with.
4) Name five people who you can lean on during a difficult time.
5) Name five people who have changed your life.
I'm willing to bet that was a lot easier.
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most certificates on the wall or the most money in the bank...they are the ones that care. The ones that came in and never left, no matter what.
I'm so blessed to have so many amazing people in my life and so thankful that my kids do too.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz